If you want to have laser hair removal treatment that ensures no regrowth and visibly brighter and smooth skin then it’s crucial to follow a pre-care and aftercare regimen. If you’re a local in Pakistan and finding laser hair removal in Islamabad, make sure they have expert dermatologists and estheticians who guide you through out and do treatment professionally for guaranteed results.
In case you’re looking for a guide on what to do prior to laser treatment and after that then look no further. Here, you’ll get a complete guide on pre-care and aftercare for the best results.
Wondering why it’s important to take care of your skin before and after the treatment? You can get side effects and not-so-good results if you don’t do this. Let’s get started with the side effects of laser hair removal treatment that you can avoid nu following pre-care and aftercare, religiously.
Possible side effects of laser hair removal treatment
Although very rare, you might get the following side effects immediately after getting the treatment. Normally these effects vanish away within a day. But if they don’t it’s better to inform your doctor.
- Severe pain in the treated area
- Erythema- skin redness due to excessive blood flow in the area
- Swelling or Oedema that is caused by fluid retention
- Puckered skin
- Blistering- you’ll notice a fluid-filled bump
- Bruising due to exposure to the laser beam for too long
- Skin turning greyish
Again, very rare but you might experience other side effects as well after 4 to 12 hours of the treatment. These side effects include:
- Prolonged swelling due to fluid retention
- Tearing of the treated skin due to sensitivity
- The hyperpigmentation can be prevented by using SPF 30 or more sunscreen with Zinc in it
- Loss of epidermal layer
- Prolonged itching that can be soothed with ice packs.
Before heading to your appointment, make sure you follow the following pre-care routine:
- Shave the area that has to be treated a day before
- Use sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 for 2 to 3 weeks
- Don’t apply any products to your skin that contain chemicals
- Keep your skin dry and clean
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water the day before the treatment
- Wear loose clothes on the treatment day to feel relaxed
- Avoid exercising a day before the treatment and on the treatment day
- Avoid smoking and blood-thinning medicines prior to the treatment. You should ask your doctor first about what medicines to avoid
- Don’t practice any other hair removal treatments
- Make sure you avoid early to feel comfy and relaxed
Why is pre-care important?
Pre care is vital to make sure your treatment goes perfect with zero side effects and great results. Your skin should be ready to bear those laser beams as all you want is to have no unwanted hair growth with no effects on your skin.
To get maximum out of laser treatment it’s so important to go to an advanced skin clinic that has expertise in aesthetic treatments with modern equipment. Also, make sure to follow an aftercare routine as well that’s discussed below!
Here are a few things that you must do in order to prevent side effects and get the desired results from laser treatment.
The DON’TS are:
- Don’t scratch the surface of the skin that’s treated with the laser beam
- Don’t use any cream or perfumes on the area because it can cause burn and rashes
- Don’t expose the treated area to sun rays as it can cause hyperpigmentation
- Avoid saunas and hot baths for a week
- Avoid swimming and any other things that have chlorine
- Don’t wax or trim during the whole procedure
- Avoid exercising for 48 hours
- Don’t use hot water on the skin for at least 48 hours
- Avoid shaving the area for at least 72 hours
The DO’s are:
- Use an ice pack to soothe the area that has just been treated
- Use cooling creams and aloe Vera on the skin. Your doctor will prescribe you a couple of creams to soothe the skin
- Use sunscreen of at least SPF 30 (preferably more) that contains Zinc in it. You should use this sunscreen for at least 2 weeks
- Drink plenty of water so that your skin remains hydrated
- Keep your skin clean and dry
- Wear loose clothes to avoid friction that can cause redness
Following this aftercare and the advice of your doctor will surely give you good results.
Why is aftercare important?
Still, wondering why aftercare is important? Well, aftercare helps your skin to get healed properly. Otherwise, your skin can become sensitive and prone to skin damage. As the hair follicle is destroyed, the skin is prone to hyperpigmentation and prolonged redness and swelling. This can easily be avoided by following a skincare regimen. You will minimize the possibility of getting side effects and you’ll be able to enjoy silky smooth skin with no hair.
The Bottom line
Laser hair removal is a promising treatment that helps slow down or stop unwanted hair growth. But only if you follow a proper pre-care and aftercare routine. You have to protect your skin from sun and heat and avoid a few medicines (mentioned above) prior to the treatment. After you get your treatment, you have to take care of your treated body area. Make sure not to expose it to the sun and use any chemical on your skin. By taking good care of your treated skin, you’ll get the best results and you’ll never regret having laser hair removal treatment.